Named in honor of South Carolina Revolutionary War patriot and signer of the US Constitution, Charles Pinckney. Pinckney, a lifelong Charlestonian, was born in 1740 and achieved distinction as a lawyer, soldier, and diplomat. He served as commander of the First Carolina Infantry at the onset of the war and then as aid-de-camp to George Washington during the battles of Brandywine and Germantown. He soon saw the need to return to his beloved Charleston to command the fort on Sullivan’s Island to protect the city as it was under siege by the British. Pinckney briefly served as minister to France following the Revolutionary War and remained as esteemed friend of George Washington for the remainder of his life. He died in 1825 in the city he so loved and is buried in the graveyard of Saint Micheal’s Episcopal church on Meeting Street.